Gimme The Gig

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

10 Things You Didn't Know About Carson Henley

Each week, we will be profiling one of our top artists who will be performing in front of the legendary Don Was!

This week we had the chance to catch up with Carson Henley.

Originally from Kent, Washington; Carson Henley comes from a family full of diverse musical interests. From his grandparents’ oldies to his mom’s soul music and his dad’s classic rock collections; Carson embraced the varying musical influences of his family and combined them into his own unique blend of soul rock with just a hint of classic oldies. With the increasing pace of today’s mainstream music, it is refreshing; to say the least, to see a young soul rock artist who can slow it down a bit.


Carson Henley

Read our exclusive interview below, and discover 10 things you didn't know about Carson Henley!

GTG: Where was your live performance on the Gimme the Gig II Focus Tour?

Carson: It was in Seattle on top of a parking garage in downtown during a parade.

GTG: Did you get the chance to sit and try out the new Ford Focus?

Carson: I got a chance to sit in it; it was a really nice car. I like the look of the interior and the sound system.

GTG: What is one thing about you we would never guess?

Carson: I chip my teeth all the time. I chipped it a week ago on a microphone; I chipped it yesterday playing basketball, so I am going to have two fillings in a week. (laughs)

GTG: Why did you decide to use your real name instead of a stage name for your band?

Carson: Sometimes, a stage name fits a persona on stage better. But I am just me on stage, and I am not a good actor. I just play music and try to play it the way I feel it, so I guess that’s why I never thought about changing my name.

GTG: What’s the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you on stage?

Carson: I was playing in a show where I was supposed to go out into the crowd. I caught my foot on a mic cord and fell down all the way down the stairs! Luckily, I stood right back up, but it was pretty embarrassing.

GTG: As a singer, who are your biggest inspirations?

Carson: I grew up listening to old Motown soul records from my mom, and classic rock from my dad. But as a whole I really gravitate towards soul music like Stevie Wonder, James Morrison (current) and Adele. 

GTG: What’s your favorite thing to eat for dinner on the road?

Carson: My perfect meal would be a pizza, chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies, and Jameson with ginger.

GTG: What “inconvenient truths” does the independent scene not want the general public to know?

Carson: The independent scene is a double edge sword; it’s hard to compete with the mainstream artists without money, but unfortunately, if you are independent, you don’t make much money. So it’s going to be a long and arduous road.

GTG: What country would you most want to perform live in other than US?

Carson: I have a large fan base in the UK so I would love to play in London. But I am also an Italian, so I would love to play in Rome, Italy as well.

GTG: Sounds like you parents have major musical backgrounds, can you tell me a bit more about them?

Carson: My mom was a singer in a band, and my dad is a massive music fan. I grew up not allowed to listen to radio, and I could only listen to whatever my parents listened to and that has had a fundamental impact on my musical styles.

Check out a video message from Carson Henley to Gimme the Gig and his fans!



Make sure to check out his album “100 Hours” available June, 2012.

You can “Like” him at http://www.facebook.com/carsonhenleymusic and you can follow him at http://www.twitter.com/CarsonHenley. If you are a fan, give him a shout out on the Gimme the Gig II Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment